From: Rishi Kumar [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2008 6:39 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Naming convention for Servers

I have a general question that I'd like to put up for discussion.

I work for a medium size company with about 50 servers.

Most of our domain controllers and exchange servers have random
names....(These are not real) but something like George, Gertrude,
etc...

I am one of TWO system admins... or let's say 3 sys admins, including my
supervisor.

I have been pleading to start using a naming convention for the last
several months as it is now getting confusing to remember which sever
performs which function and which office it is located.  (We have 7
different office locations throughout the country).

Is there really a good reason to NOT have a naming convention?

computer viruses.