From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:55 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Remote Desktop of Death

I am on my XP desktop, and I run mstsc.exe to open a session on a
server.
(In the most recent case, the server was a VM, so remote session is the
only real possibility.)

Again, I am logged into my XP desktop as my personal account, and I try
log into a remote server with a different, administrative account.

My "warning message" is that the remote server already has my personal,
non-admin account logged into a session on it.
--------------------------------------
Richard McClary, Systems Administrator
ASPCA Knowledge Management
1717 S Philo Rd, Ste 36, Urbana, IL  61802
217-337-9761
http://www.aspca.org

Ken Schaefer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 07/29/2008 07:39:51 AM:

> Can you clarify this?
>
> > I need to open a remote desktop session on a server.
>
> Is this:
> a) you are running mstsc.exe on your local Vista machine, and
> (trying to) open a session to a server
> -or-
> b) you are on a server (console or RD) and you need to open a remote
> desktop session somewhere else?
>
> Cheers
> Ken

XP
> > Pro, SP2...
> >
> > I need to open a remote desktop session on a server.  I attempt to
log
in
> > as a local administrator on that machine (not the account running on

my
> > desktop system).  I am told that "I" (that is, the account on my
local
> > desktop) is currently logged into this server - do I want to log him

off?
> > When I hit the "Yes" button, I watch in horror as all my currently
running
> > desktop apps shut down, one by one, until I am logged off my desktop
> > session.
> >
> > This has happened perhaps 4 times to me.  Now that I've lost a
precious 5
> > minutes getting back up and running (got a project engineer arriving
> > shortly), any ideas as to why this happens?  Once I learn to
recognize
the