On 2 Dec 2008 at 13:06, Eric Brouwer  wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
> I've run into an issue at work related to our web site that I can't
> figure out.  Our site was developed in house using Flash by another

[gag].  I'm on DSL and it takes a L-O-N-G T-I-M-E to load the home page and
move between pages (and I have to disable NoScript's protections), dump the
Flash ASAP.  You could also create a non-flash version of the site which loads
when your vistors don't have Flash available (for example, iPhone users have no
Flash capabilities). You could certainly offer the Flashy version to everyone,
just have a no-Flash version also.

> individual who can't explain the issue, either.
>
> When you go to www.forestpost.com, everything works fine.  If you
> click on of the links on the left, you'll see a carousel featuring our
> staff.  This data is XML driven.  If you go to forestpost.com, the XML
> never loads, so you don't see the carousels.  While we look at a long
> term solution, I'm trying to find a quick fix.
>
> Can I do anything through DNS?  Some way to force all traffic destined
> for forestpost.com to redirect to www.forestpost.com?

Would this work for your site?

------- Included Stuff Follows -------
Force www vs non-www to avoid duplicate content on Google

    Recently, it has been talked a lot about Google and duplicate content as
    well as Google Canonical problems.That is, when you have your site
    accessible both under your_domain.com and www.your_domain.com. To avoid
    such problems you can use the following lines in your .htaccess file to
    force only the www version of your web site:

    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www.your_domain.com$
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.your_domain.com/$1 [R=301]

    Please, note that the .htaccess should be located in the web site main
    folder.

    This will redirect all requests to the non-www version of your site to the
    www version using 301 Permanent redirect which will make the search
    engines to index your site only using the www.your_domain.com URL. In this
    way you will avoid a duplicate content penalty.

--------- Included Stuff Ends ---------
More here with links:
    http://www.besthostratings.com/articles/force-www-htaccess.html

Another version that also suggests a different approach:

------- Included Stuff Follows -------
  How To Force www (or no-www) In Domain Name | ProgramimiCOM

    If you don´t have access to .htaccess, you could also accomplish the same
    thing through php with a simple script at the top of every page that will
    try to find www in the URL and redirect if found. Not the most elegant
    solution, but it does what it needs to do for those who can´t edit
    .htaccess for some reason.

    if(!substr($_SERVER[´HTTP_HOST´], `www´)) //check if www exists in URL
    { header(´Location: http://www.programimi.com/´); //redirect to
www.programimi.com }

    Or for those using wordpress, you could simply install a plugin that does
    all this for you! One example plugin is WWW-Redirect.

--------- Included Stuff Ends ---------
More here with links:
  http://www.programimi.com/2008/04/02/how-to-force-www-or-no-www-in-domain-
name/