From: Ben Scott [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2008 12:30 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: BB Storm

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Benjamin Zachary - Lists
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Anyone supporting these on BES?

  I've had a couple inquiries; I've been advising users to hold off
for a few months.  It's a new model, and the first-ever touch-screen
for BlackBerry, and there was a big push to get it released.  I would
be amazed if there weren't some bugs.

> I have a couple of guys who got theirs and its been working (they both
hate them btw)
> and apparently there was some software upgrade they applied this
morning and
> blew out both their bes connections.

  I went to a store to try one hands-on.  I found the UI was erratic
and/or slow.  The salesweasel must have seen my reaction, because she
proactively offered this explanation: Verizon does something to them
which causes problems.  This "something" will be cleared out once the
trial period ends (15 days, I think).  The device will then
automatically reset and work much better.  She didn't have any
knowledge as to the how or why behind it.

  It doesn't make any sense to make a product *worse* to use during
the period when the customer is going to return it.  On the other
hand, I can totally see Verizon shooting themselves in the foot like
that.  (Witness the 8830 GPS fiasco.)  So maybe your users just got
their reset.  Ask them if the device works better now.

-- Ben