I've been working primarily with VMWare so keep that in mind, but here are
my opinions:

1.      It depends on the situation. For example if you are talking small
office or SMB type of implementations a SAN may not be possible due to
cost constraints. On the other hand if it's available, I would recommend
it. Specifically for HA and DRS in VMWare for high availability, load
balancing, fault tolerance.
2.      Some do and some don't. Over the years, I  have seen a shift from
vendors to not supporting it at all, to totally embracing it. At this
point I think the majority of vendors support it in some form, but not
all. YMMV.
3.      I think a lot of that depends on the situation. I think almost
anything can fit well into a virtual environment if the hardware is scaled
appropriately. Lots of disk, lots of memory, lots of IO (HBA, Network).
4.      There are tools available for this type of initial evaluation. I
know PlateSpin has tools and so does VMWare for making an evaluation of
the current environment and creating an initial proposal(number of hosts
needed, specific servers categorized into best candidate types, etc.).
Keep in mind this is a very dynamic area. Nothing is set in stone. The
only thing you can be sure of is that once you go virtual you will need to
expand it, just a matter of how much and over what period of time.

Depending on how big your environment is, I'd suggest setting up a
Development cluster and start by migrating some Dev boxes over or creating
new test systems for different departments to evaluate. Once you have buy
in from the business you can move forward.

Chris Bodnar, MCSE
Sr. Systems Engineer
Distributed Systems Service Delivery - Intel Services
Guardian Life Insurance Company of America
Email: christopher_bod...@glic.com
Phone: 610-807-6459