From: Andy Shook [mailto:andy.sh...@peak10.com]
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2008 6:52 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Virtualization Questions

Roger,

Opinions on this will vary, however, my responses.

1.       Yes.  Centralized storage that all hosts can see and access is a
must for Vmotion/HA/DRS as well as backups.  Needs and budget will dictate,
however, I would have local storage only for the host OS (ESX, etc.) and a
SAN for all the VMs\vmdk files.

2.       Acceptance of a dedicated VM is growing.  I've personally run many,
many (police academy joke, if your didn't get it) applications with no
issues raided from the vendor, YMMV by vendor

3.       Load and amount of data usually dictate this.  I've seen every
mainstream app virtualized and dedicated server, here in the datacenter.

4.       I would say load and functionality.  If you have ESX with HA/DRS,
then I personally don't care where the VMs are just as long as they are up.
I have seen where shops will specify that a DC\GC has to stay on the same
host as an Exchange server, as an example.  Forget everything you know about
server provisioning.  In my experience, dedicated servers that were running
with dual procs and 4GB of RAM ran wonderfully with a single core and 512MB
in a VM environment.  This is one of the many, many (see above reference J)
beautiful things that virtualization brings to the table.

Feel free to ping me off-list if I can help in any way.

Shook