1.       San is better, if cost is something you are dealing with look at
DRBD, IET or I just setup NFS Server on Windows (SFU) and connected 3 fast
sas drives and the box is screaming. That cost me an XP Pro license, on a
399.00 dell box. Running in NFS (not iscsi) suffers a little performance but
adds a lot of functionality for backups/snapshots.

2.       Yes, I usually hide the vmware tools tray icon and let them work on
it first J

3.       If you have enough hardware the overhead is minimal (2-4% in esx)
If your server is under heavy load and very large you probably already have
it on a san, how much overhead does the vmdk create? Vmware also has their
own new Vmware scsi bus which is supposed to be screaming fast.

4.       Yes, Shared access to a storage location in esx, or if you have the
nas/san in place then its just 2 boxes running the o/s pointing to the san

5.       Because you can create vswitch which is a lot faster and never hits
the physical link of a network card, I will address teamed guests with that
method, and then separate them if required due to overhead. If you have a
client app and a SQL box, keeping them together is probably a good idea (if
network latency is your primary concern). However, if you have that SQL in a
cluster, you obviously don't want SQL2 on the same box ever. This is all
setup in vmotion/DRS ruleset (sql1 and sql2 cannot be together, sql1 and www
must be together etc etc)