"Roger Wright" <rwri...@evatone.com> wrote on 12/29/2008 09:30:01 AM:

> Taking a look at the potential implementation of virtualization
> and have several questions:
>
> 1.        Does/should utilization of a SAN have a direct impact
> on virtualization  decisions?  Is it better to go with local or
> SAN storage?

SAN!

Once you have a SAN you will never go back to direct attached disk.

SANs don't have to be expensive or hard to use, either.  We have an
Equallogic PS series iSCSI SAN and it works great and is a breeze to set
up and configure.  No degree required :)

> 2.       Do vendors who normally require a dedicated server
> accept a virtualized server as equivalent?

Depends on the vendor.

> 3.       What type of servers (DB, Oracle, F&P, etc.) don?t
> make good candidates for virtualization?    I would think that
> SQL/Oracle would probably be least recommended.

Depends on the application.  There is very little that isn't a good
candidate for virtualization.

> 4.       Is clustering still possible with VMs?

Sure.  Although with some solutions like VMware site recover manager, you
may not need to do clustering any more.  Depends on what you were trying
to accomplish with clustering.

> 5.       What kind of logic determines the best combination of
> host/guests?  IOW, is it recommended to put all F&P servers
> together on one host, or should it be a combination of F&P, DB, etc.?

Generally you want to balance out your load.  That's where VMware gets the
big bucks - they have management tools that simplify monitoring and
performing load balancing of virtual hosts across your server farm.
Microsoft is playing catch up with HyperV and Microsoft System Center
Virtual Machine Managerbut they have a ways to go.

Even if you don't virtualize, SAN's still rock!

Eric Eskam
The contents of this message are mine personally and do not reflect any
position of the U.S. Government
"The human mind treats a new idea the same way the body treats a strange
protein; it rejects it."
-  P. B. Medawar