On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 9:25 AM, Erik Goldoff <egold...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> "You're letting an outside organization have control of one of your
>> computers.  You're okay with that? "
>
> Ever read the Microsoft EULA, especially regarding the Service Packs and
> automatic update ???

  Indeed.

  Heck, I'm not really overly comfortable with Microsoft, either.
Their track record on business ethics and practices isn't exactly a
glowing recommendation.  And they're huge; big enough for a rogue
element to go undetected for years.  There are some key differences,
though:

A1. Various organizations audit at least some of the Windows source.
A2. Various organizations audit at least some of the Windows machine
code (binaries/executables).
A3. There are *lots* of A1 and A2.  Windows is under a tremendous
amount of scrutiny.
A4. Windows doesn't have the ability to bypass our firewall or other
non-Microsoft security measures.  We have defense-in-depth, both in
terms of technology and vendors.
A5. Windows runs on systems under our control.

  The remote-control services violate all of the above.  In
particular, major parts of all remote-control services run through
servers and software *nobody else can see*.

-- Ben