Productive, but at what cost to the business? It only takes one security
incident, to cost you more than the productivity of a years worth of
work. Heck some of the penalities are in the 250K+ range at the most
severe for HIPPA and I am sure its higher in the other regulations (
PCI, GLB, SarbOx)

Its not about a power trip either, its about following process, using
good risk management techniques and being able to prove that people are
accessing only what you gave them access to and no more. ( due
diligence, Least Privilege rules)

Actually security could show up in making sure the profits you are
earning by doing your work as shown. Just imagine the laptop that the
C-Level is using that wasn't Lo-Jacked and you didn't think about adding
full hard drive encryption, but those juicy insider details are being
pushed to your competition, because he/she/it had its laptop stolen and
didn't encrypt the information that was confident/sensitive in nature.
Now it's the hands of the people that shouldn't have had it in the first
place. That is just one of a lot of ways you can show how working
securely and following security protocol helps you stay profitable and
avoid these types of situations that when you look at the bottom line
cost the organization/business more money per-incident than they might
make in a month or even year.

Food for thought,

Edward E. Ziots
Network Engineer
Lifespan Organization
Email: ezi...@lifespan.org
Phone: 401-639-3505
MCSE, MCP+I, ME, CCA, Security +, Network +