From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 10:13 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: LogMeIn

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 10:57 AM, David James <bigdadd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> They wouldn't be in business if they hacked their customers networks.

  I believe I provided some arguments as to why that's a logical fallacy.

  Again, you're not actually doing any analysis.  If you presented
some kind of evaluation, it would be one thing.  Example: Small art
design firm; seven employees; no HIPAA/PCI/etc.; low profile
organization; no radical trade secrets; alternative solutions would
cost $%LARGE%; alternatives exceed the value of assets.  That's valid
risk management.  (I might quibble with the alternative solutions
cost, but that's a lot more subjective.)  But you're just hoping
things will be okay.

  Wanting something doesn't make it real (unless you're an xkcd fan).

  I'm sure it pisses you off to no end that I keep calling you on your
flimsy logic.  Sorry.  I don't mean to anger you, but security is
about facing harsh realities.  I've found most people would rather be
happily unaware than unhappily informed.

-- Ben