David Lum <david....@nwea.org> wrote on 01/05/2009 09:14:08 AM:

> Until you see the price tag for a SAN HDD that needs replaced.
> At least for the SAN we have here as the price per GB is lousy
> compared to standard SAS drives.

Ouch - yeah, there is new technology out there - EMC, IBM, Hitachi - for
quite a few workloads.  Check out the performance numbers for iSCSI SAN's
like Equallogic running SATA - there are articles with benchmarks out
there - SATA gets allot of badmouthing, but if you pay attention it's
usually from vendors trying to sell higher priced SAS :)

I mean for some loads there are legitimate needs for the big iron or SAS
or FC drives, but I have a sneaking suspicion they are in the minority.

Eric Eskam
The contents of this message are mine personally and do not reflect any
position of the U.S. Government
"The human mind treats a new idea the same way the body treats a strange
protein; it rejects it."
-  P. B. Medawar