The number of responses from folks recommending against charging surprises me.

I fall into the pro-charging category. I'm not saying be a jerk about it, but
there's nothing at all unreasonable about viewing your time as being valuable.
What *is* unreasonable is for a former employer to expect you to work for free
(not saying yours expects this-I don't know). If I left my organization, but
boss would never DREAM of asking me to help out for free after the fact. If my
services were needed, she wouldn't hesitate to get a purchase order processed
for my time.

I wouldn't charge for answering a few e-mail questions or for spending a few
minutes on the phone. But beyond that, I would be inclined to charge for my
time just like any other professional would. Any former employer who would
begrudge you of that is (A.) someone you probably wouldn't want to go back to
work for and (B.) likely to come up with some other reason to give you a bad
reference in the future.

John Hornbuckle
MIS Department
Taylor County School District