You don't need additional servers for conferencing in R2; you can have a
single-server installation - although with a thousand concurrent users you'd
definitely be pushing hardware to the limit...

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Peck [mailto:sep...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 12:10 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Unified Communications

We've had LCS2005sp1 for a few years now.  We are using only the IM
portion for a variety of reasons but my initial 'proof of concept'
test install for 50 users (100 in three weeks) now supports 1,500
users with 1,000 logged on at any given time.  For the most part our
users are happy with it.  Well, most, some hate IM because it lets
people 'get to them' all the time.

We did a telephony integration proof of concept with it using Nortel
software on a proxy and it worked fairly well for 10 users.
Communicator 2005 is not a full SIP client so while it worked it had
some undesirable client oddities (windows left open).  Microsoft reps
told me in advance this would happen so I wasn't surprised.
Communicator 2007 is supposed to be more fully featured and resolve
those issues.

I get to (on a shoestring 'no cost' budget) upgrade to OCS2007r2 in
the next few months.  We will still primarily be using it for IM at
this point as I don't get the additional servers for the conferencing
features yet, but I should be able to have a solid base to expand on
when they want to play with the telephony POC again and maybe get the
conferencing stuff in place.

Steven