This is more of a collaboration tool than a conferencing tool, but this
combined with Live Messenger has gotten some good traction with me.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2008.07.utilityspotlight.aspx

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Peck [mailto:sep...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 2:46 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Unified Communications

So, there are a lot of options, but those options are expensive, just
not expensive in terms of licensing costs.

Jabber for in house only (block to the Internet)
You could set up your own IRC server in house ( I am not sure if
Jabber will do persistent 'group' chat like IRC does with channel bots
)
Asterix has some variants that you could do some odd stuff with.

There are not really any good 'free' conferencing servers (video) out
there and definitely nothing that is integrated (please let me know if
you find something I missed, I have a group of folks that could
benefit).  All of this requires in house expertise and conflicting
resources and documentation from the various projects.  So, as long as
your time is available and having your support be dependent on the
community around the project you use, you could replicate OCS with
Open Source stuff.  That's the trade off.  Huge learning curve no
matter which way you go.

Steven