Perhaps time is the missing axis?

How old is that "40" box?

-sc

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2009 11:05 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Amusing

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Jim Mediger <j...@holaday.com> wrote:
> "Disk space savings from single instance storage are transient and
drop off
> very quickly over time."

  I believe that is misleading at best.  It may even be deliberate
propaganda to justify removing SIS.  We've had several people post
their SIS ratios in this thread, and only one has been anywhere close
to a ratio of 1.  Several have been 5 or more, and one was 40!  While
this isn't a scientific sample, it does suggest that SIS of real
benefit for at least some people.

  Again, I suspect Microsoft is viewing this problem from the
standpoint of large, multi-server shops, where you have lots of
servers and lots of databases.  In such cases, SIS can't help nearly
as much.  But for the single-server shops, I suspect it's a different
story entirely.

-- Ben