As IT professionals, we are resposible for all facets of technology in the
enterprise.  User interaction with technoogy is but one part of the
equation.  For example you mentioned USB keys and the VPN.  USB based memory
could be a security issue in many organizations, and it would be IT's
responsibility to implement solutions to deny their use.  With a VPN
selected users could be chose to have or not have access depedning upon the
organization's needs, and it can even be more selectively enforced so only
certain equipment is able to connect.  Taking the aforementioned steps could
hamper a user's ability to work, but  is a necessary side-effect to meet an
organizational goal.  The example is simplistic and neglects other methods
for distributing data outside of the enterprise.