From: Jeremy Anderson [jer...@mapiadmin.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 8:44 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Win2003 DC on Win2000 domain

I did SMB consulting for a while and it made me CRY.  I have seen everything
you guys have mentioned and more.  Anti-Virus?  We don’t need that, we have a
firewall.  And the company I worked for still chose to work with that SMB,
because that SMB actually paid their bills.  Basically, for that customer, and
MANY others, we told them their options, but ended up designing a solution that
fit the budget, never best practices.

And I HATED it.  So I left.  I went into the corporate world.  I started
working for a large dot com that is on the Fortune 100 list.  I said to my self
“There is no way these guys don’t get it, this is going to be awesome.”  Guess
what?  They don’t get it.  Backups – what backups?  At least now I am actually
running NTbackups, before I got there AD  was not even being backed up..
Exchange was backed up as a brick.  I fixed that too.  Never mind that all 15
storage groups are in use and each storage group is over 100 Gigs.  I cant even
begin to imagine what it would be like to restore it.  Weeks of downtime.

So I am leaving. I am going back to being a consultant.  When I went into my
second interview, the owner was talking to me about how he had to fire one of
his largest accounts that week.  Yes, the company fired the client.  Why?
Because he made a recommendation about the clients information security,
backups, and the client refuses to take the advice.  He doesn’t want the client
to come back at him if something bad happens, and tries to blame his company.
Nor does he want to be in an “I told you so” situation.  I am optimistic about
this new job.

The moral of this story is that we can choose our clients that we do business
with, but someone out there will always take the job.  Personally, I hate doing
things half assed and working with clients that always want to half ass it, or
run with no policies, or no AV, or just a Linksys for a firewall makes me angry.

I personally feel that any company with a semi-realistic budget can afford a
solution that is “best practices”.  It takes a good consultant to cater to that
customer.  The amount of money we billed that poor schlub for hand removing
viruses and reloading machines could have been spent 5 times over on a solid AV
solution.  But my boss liked the billable hours and never made a graph to show
that they spent $800 on virus removal last month when Symantec cost $400 (I
made those numbers up, but you guys get the idea) .  And sometimes the client
just won’t listen.  And that is when its time to let the client go.

Offsite backup?  Most of the companies I have worked for in the past go to the
bank, get a safe deposit box and have them take the tapes to the bank with
them.  Fed-Ex is AlWAYS there, send the tapes somewhere FED-Ex, even if it’s
the owners house.  Is Fed-Exing the taps to the owners house the best idea ever
– no.  Does it meet the needs of off site DR- defiantly (and its relativity
cheap).  Again – risk vs reward.

I hope I made some sense there and didn’t go to far off on a rant.

And back on topic, somewhat, is it just me, or would anyone else just not want
another domain controller existing, but turned off for 3 or 4 days.  In my head
I see clients trying to authenticate against it (its still in DNS) and the
other DCs trying to replicate to it, its not there.  To me that just kinda
seems like a bad idea, but maybe I am off base here.

Jeremy