We are having issues with navigating shares using DFS as well.  This is our
situation -- XP clients as we move through the different shares (open
folder, or especially going back and then opening another folder) will just
lock up for 5-30 seconds.  A few windows 7 clients we have do not have this
issue at all.  We have 2008 and 2003 targets, and it doesn't matter which
you are hitting, you will see these delays.  The DFS root servers are 2003.

I've put a trace on the workstations and I see a bunch of NT Create AndX
Requests to \pathname:{hash}:$DATA, then to
\pathname:Docf_\005SummaryInformation:$DATA, and
\pathname:\005SummaryInformation:$DATA, along with other pathnames along
those same lines, which are responded with: Error:
STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND.  I don't see this behavior under Windows 7,
and I don't see this when just browsing directly to the share without going
through DFS.  It will do this while it is timing out, then just seems to be
fine for a little while, then it will do it again, seemingly on another
random location.