From: Russ [shouldab...@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, 11 July 2009 3:32 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Slow DFS connections for windows xp users (and windows 2003)

I meant this to go to the list, but replied back to someone directly by
mistake...If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear about it!

I actually have found that what I posted earlier doesn't really seem to have
anything to do with anything. (It does happen just when you are browsing SMB,
so it appears to be unrelated). However, I did get a capture where I had an
established connection to a share using the DFS namespace (and just to clarify,
I only have one DFS root server in this case, and I am browsing a share that
only has one DFS target -- we are not replicating at this time)

I started my capture, and then double-clicked on a folder -- I just got an hour
glass, and then approximately 10 seconds later, the folder opened up. There
were no packets in or out to either the target or the DFS root outside of the
ICMP packets I was continuously sending during this time. The first packet
captured was a "Tree disconnect request" to the DFS root from my machine,
followed immediately by a "Tree Disconnect response" from the DFS root. So it
looks like my machine was waiting for something during that period??

I don't know . .. at this point we are reluctant to roll DFS namespace further
because of this weird slowness issue...

Thanks, Russ