From: Steph Balog [validemai...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, 10 July 2009 1:34 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Slow DFS connections for windows xp users (and windows 2003)

(quoting Ken below)

Ken (you dont happen to work at a university do you?)

I did use wireshark, I was using wireshark when it was ethereal, and probably
using it long before most on this list have been working. I HAVE stated the
issue. Windows XP and 2003 clients are experiencing slow connectivity to shares
on a windows 2008 server. Regardless of whether it is through dfs or not.
Windows vista client and windows 7 clients do not.
The issue looks to be a a client one. Perhaps something to do with how the
OLDER client handle talking smb to the NEWER server. That is the ISSUE KEN. My
question was if ANYONE has seen such an issue. There is an ISSUE KEN.

And fyi, wireshark did not show me anything but smb traffic being initiated the
server responding, and then nothing. It didnt show errors, it didnt show drops.
It is not a network issue, it is not a traffic issue. So again KEN, unless you
can add something useful to this conversation, please refrain from your
semantics. And hopefully someone else may have experienced this and can offer
me some isight.