From: SMREKAR, JACK [mailto:smre...@aasd.k12.wi.us]
Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 4:30 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: OT: Symantec Rant

So far the only major glitch I have found is that the incremental backups are
very slow, average about 8 MB/min, where the full backup averaged about 900
MB/min. I have been working on this with tech support since the end of May.
Since we were going to use 2 backup servers any way we kind of waited till the
new one was up and running to see if we had a server issue. but the new server
is the same speed as the old one.

We are using the backup to disk options and once things are settled down a
little bit more we will be pushing the critical stuff off to tape.

The other thing to watch for is if you want to use the Synthetic backup feature
you will still need to purchase the Advanced Disk-based Backup Option in order
to get this item to work. But once it is installed they do give you the
templates and policies to use and you just need to modify those to match your
backup times and jobs.

Jack Smrekar
Appleton Area School District
920-993-7062 Ext. 2123