Daniel Rodriguez <drod...@gmail.com> wrote on 08/28/2009 12:01:52 PM:

> And you are not using DFS beecause? This would help you tremendously.

Don't know enough about to implement. I know the general theory of it
(it's pretty equivalent to a mount point in Unix/Linux, I believe). How
would it help me, tho?

Would I specify the profile location as "\\DFS\Users\username1", and then
- as long as something mounted into DFS has a path "\Users\username1",
offline folders would be happy? And then I'd only have to worry about
doing the backup/restore from one physical server to the other?

> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 11:56 AM, <michael.le...@pha.phila.gov> wrote:
> I have 5 sites that have file servers in them. We assign a user's home
> profile in AD (home folder) to be the server closest to them, for
> performance sake. We also use folder re-direction via GPO, as well as
> offline files (sometimes, the WAN connections can hiccup, and we lose
> connectivity). A mostly standard (or not unknown) configuration, right?
>
> Here's my problem/aggravation:
>
> I have people move from site to site all the time. Their computer goes
> with them. Rather than have them access all their files over a WAN link,
> we want them to access them locally, for performance reasons.
>
> This means I have to synchronize their re-directed folders; backup their
> files at the old fileserver; restore to the new fileserver; delete their
> offline files cache (else it will continue to synchronize to their old
> fileserver); and change their profile setting in AD. Unfortunately, I
> can't schedule the time of their move, so I end up hearing about it
after
> they've moved into their new site. So I either have to interrupt their
day
> and stop their computer usage (while the backup/restore is taking
place),
> or try and doing it in the evening, remotely, on my time from home. This
> is - of course - further complicated by the fact that I have to
coordinate
> with the user's schedule for daytime work, etc.
>
> I know that a good chunk of my problem is not technical, it's the fact
> that I can't do the backup and delete offline cache as the last step
> before the user moves, so that by the time they are all set up at their
> new site, everything is ready to go (in terms of cleared offline folders
> cache, and new entry in profile setting in AD, and restore done to new
> server). But since I (apparently) can't change this process, I'm looking
> for some advice on ways to make my life easier.
>
> Any advice? (from a technical standpoint, I mean) Better way to do this?
> don't think something like DFS would help, but I've never used it, so
I'm