QAM is one form of modulation. It is standardized, but as is the case
with many standards, there are many of them, such as 8VSB. QAM is more
efficient, hence many systems are moving to it, but not all.

ATSC defines the signaling, contained within the modulated (and often
encrypted) carrier. This is where the standards parameters for 720p,
1080i, etc... are defined.

Different carriers can indeed map different channels, use sub-channels
(i.e. xxx.1), etc... however if you have a tuner/cablecard setup capable
of demodulating the chesen scheme and is ATSC compliant, then grabbing
the channels is trivial, as they are all in standardized "locations"
within the carrier.

The encryption is the biggie...

-sc