From: Bill Songstad [mailto:bsongs...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 1:19 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: VMWare tools

I was using regular client backups as well, but a recent MotherBoard
failure on my ESX host left me high and dry for 36 hours because
rebuilding 4 servers and reinstalling them only to back them up and
restore them back to the original host was going to be a pretty big
hassle not to mention having a full day of email and SQL logs out of
sync with the most current backup set.  So I figured that if I had some
host based backup solution, I could be back online in a couple of hours
instead of 16. (no reinstalling, no patching and then restoring from
backup)  On paper, VMs are great, see, I can rebuild a server in a
fraction of the time of a PM, but now I have to rebuild all of my
servers in a 4x fraction.

I'm curious about real life experience with these live snapshot backups.
Do they boot up and behave properly when they are running live databases
like Exchange and SQL?

Bill

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Michael Leone <oozerd...@gmail.com>
wrote:

        On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Sam Cayze
<sam.ca...@rollouts.com> wrote:
        > I've set up some backup scripts to make my own VCB backups.
It was
        > pretty painless.
        > I'm by no means a script expert either.

        I have 10 ESX hosts. I don't do VCB backups at all; I backup
each VM
        exactly as I did when it was a physical host (i.e., using
Networker
        installed in the VM). So I don't need the VMs to be quiescent,
before
        backup (which wouldn't happen here, anyway).

        ~ Finally, powerful endpoint security that ISN'T a resource hog!
~