If you aren't snapping at the SAN level, then look for ghettoVCB.sh

This will take a snapshot, copy it elsewhere, remove the snapshot then label
the folder. It has a rotation count, it will automount NFS volumes, or you
can use the free Windows for Unix to get NFS, I use an NFS server for 50
bucks, and now Im on Starwind's iSCSI which is free for 2TB and a single
connection per install. This all happens w/o shutting down.

I do this to a management server with attached USB drives or internal
S-ATA's and getting about 1.5gb/min.

You can also run the rCMD which is the free remote command line tool
interpreter from vmware. In vsphere 4 this is the only way to get your esxi
backups because they made the shell unable to login like you can on the
current esxi (root hack)