is this personal property for the home user, or a system in place for
business purposes ?

The type of issue xx describes could easily have been a 'drive by' from a
third party web page advertisement that takes advantage of PDF or Flash
vulnerabilities, where the web site host is unaware of the malware insertion
they're accomodating
how current are updates to all the software?