Good point. A co-worker recently started using WildBlue, and loves it. It's
actually less expensive than what he was previously paying for dialup (plus a
dedicated line), and way faster.

-----Original Message-----
From: Murray Freeman [mailto:mfree...@alanet.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 4:07 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: National broadband

While I haven't tried to use Hughesnet or other satellite based IP
communications, they advertise that if you have a clear "view" of the
southwestern sky, you can have Internet Access anywhere. I have Directv
for my television, and it has the best HD picture I've seen anywhere.
It's rare to lose signal, but it usually is the result of snow buildup
on the dish or very heavy rainstorms. I'm in Northern Illinois and in
the 10 years or so that I've been on Directv, I think I can count on the
fingers of one hand the number of times that I lost signal. And of those
caused by snow buildup on the dish, I just went out and brushed the snow
off the dish. I'm working on a device to keep the dish snow free. I only
mention this lest someone think that satellite is not a good choice in
the middle of nowhere for Internet Access!

Murray