On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 1:30 AM, Kurt Buff <kurt.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tape wear should not be much of an issue, if you eliminate
> shoe-shining. Modern tapes (LTOx, and later, I think) are rated for
> enormous numbers of read/write cycles.

  Are you sure of that?  Last I looked (which was LTO2), the tape
manufacturers were still advertising 2000 passes.  A "pass" is defined
as the tape moving across the read/write head.  LTO uses serpentine
tracks, so running the entire logical tape from start to end results
in several passes.  I believe most modern tape systems work the same
way.  Assuming you do a full verify with every backup, a single
night's backup could easily mean ~10-20 passes.

-- Ben