I tested all of the major wan optimizers about 2 years ago including
Riverbed Steelheads, Cisco WAAS, and the Citrix product.
The end result is the Riverbed blew everyone out of the water. It wasn't
even close.

I initially thought the Citrix product would be best since at the time
all wan users used citrix for 100% of their work, but what I found after
installing demo units is the ICA protocol was apparently not being
optimized to the degree I had anticipated. I worked with engineers of
the product who explained how the ICA optimization worked which after
understanding it I wasn't too impressed. The users notice no real
difference.

When I put the steelheads in, the performance increase was so great I
actually eventually pulled everyone at all remote sites off of citrix
with the exception of 2 database apps that still have to go through
citrix because they're too chatty. I average a 7x bandwidth increase
with the steelheads with their compression. IMO, they might cost a lot
more, but are worth every penny.

Jon