On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 3:18 AM, Phillip Partipilo <p...@psnet.com> wrote:
> My overall experience with Tripp-Lite is a product that is designed to be
> basically disposable.  A product designed to last the life of the battery,
> at most.  Poor thermal management, overheating components, and overall low
> quality components.  Whereas APC units (especially SmartUPS models) are
> built like tanks.

  APC makes some cheap disposable stuff, too.  Several of the Back-UPS
model lines fall into that category.  The Back-UPS 500 LS seems to
have a penchant for overheating and killing itself, I've discovered.
But yah, heir Smart-UPS stuff is generally top-notch.

  I've had a few instances of trouble over the years with swollen
batteries in the Smart-UPS units, and I've heard reports of same on
this list.  I don't know if that was time of trouble, or if it's been
since fixed, or what.

  The APC "Line-R" voltage regulators seem to self-destruct after a
few years, always with the same failure mode (won't power up under
load).

  I know Tripp-Lite basics some outstanding TVSS units ("IsoBar").  I
agree that their cheap UPSes are poor quality.  One hopes their
high-end stuff is better, but I don't know.  They offer double
conversion models, which APC doesn't.  But if it's poor quality,
that's still no good.

  I've also used Eaton (AKA PowerWare, AKA Best Power) UPSes before
with good results.  They also offer double conversion models.

-- Ben