In the ideal (read, "best practices") world of IT, I agree wholeheartedly that
testing is what we SHOULD do, BUT...

I dumped McCrappie last month, so I'm thankful I wasn't impacted. However, who
is to say something like this couldn't happen from any of the other AV vendors?
While we can all stand around and dump on (insert AV vendor name here that you
particularly despise or have been burned by in the last 20 years), the fact is
that they all develop new code every day, and there is always the chance that
someone will make a mistake and screw up, just like McAfee did. Maybe not
likely, but it is possible.

DAT updates come out daily from all the major players, and the ones who are
serious are putting out multiple updates daily. At the customer level, how the
heck is anyone supposed to test that? Dedicate a staff person to nothing but
AV? Who has the time, let alone the budget? Considering that the downturn in
the economy here in the US has finally caught up with us in the healthcare
sector, and Medicare is continually cutting back reimbursement (which is a
significant chunk of our revenue stream). People aren't coming to the doctor as
much, which means my budget is getting smaller. They have lost jobs and
therefore insurance, and are thinking twice about what is serious enough to go
to the doctor for versus what they feel like they can either suffer through or
deal with on their own.

Even though we're a medium to large size healthcare provider, we don't have the
resources at our fingertips to be able to test every stinking security update
that comes out. And if we don't have the resources, I can guarantee that MOST
of the businesses out there don't have the resources.

So, like I said, what do we all do? Pray that this doesn't happen to us and
just continue to have blind faith in our AV vendor? If we wait to deploy an
update because we're "testing", we run the risk of being exposed to whatever
vulnerability is out there. Which is worse? Dealing with security
vulnerability, or being taken down by a security update?

Personally, I'd rather risk downtime because of a bad DAT or engine update than
to be open to a security vulnerability that could leak my data or my
customers'/patients' data. At least if the update shuts my machine down or
breaks its network connection, the machine can't be infected...

Jonathan L. Raper, A+, MCSA, MCSE
Technology Coordinator
Eagle Physicians & Associates, PA
jra...@eaglemds.com<BLOCKED::mailto:%20jra...@eaglemds.com>