Honestly,

I also work for healthcare, and if you think AV is going to stop
Information Disclosure or data leakage, that is a little misguided.
Blind faith in any company or product is also foolish ( trust but
verified).

Yes most of the AV vendors do release multiple time per day, but we need
to look at this like any risk, how many times am I going to get burnt by
a bad dat and what is the fallout from that, vs being up to date dat
wise and protecting from the latest viruses out in the wild that the
vendor has written dats from.

As you probably already know my company made National headlines due to
the Mcafee fallout, therefore, I think the same approach used for
patching ( TEST) then deploy has to be implemented accordingly.

Basically new DAT is downloaded, it is deployed to a small subset group
of computers and those are verified to work accordingly, without issue
for a set number of hours etc etc, then it is deployed to the rest of
the organization. Very similar to what everyone should do with their
patching cycles ( Ahem I HOPE you all are doing this, then just blindly
having faith in M$ to give us patches that wont cause problems)

Probably the quickest procedure fix to the issue, again it creates a
risk of its own, but when you explain it to the management and they
explain to the business, it tends to get across accordingly, especially
when the pain of a bad DAT snapfu and the associated fallout is fresh in
executives minds.

As for dedicated people, in healthcare nobody is dedicated to just one
thing, we are multi-tasked up to the hilt, therefore I would still
recommend and adjustment of procedure with an associated risk assessment
based on the AV patches you are deploying like any other change
management process.

Happy to talk with anyone offline about this if possible. I don't want
this becoming a flame war on the list.

Edward Ziots

CISSP,MCSA,MCP+I,Security +,Network +,CCA

Network Engineer

Lifespan Organization

401-639-3505

ezi...@lifespan.org