On 26 Apr 2010 at 10:26, Ziots, Edward  wrote:

>     With your situation that probably is a better situation of the "wait and
> see" but what happens when the 0day that is being exploited and the patch
> comes out of cycle, do you still subscribe to the "wait and see" and allow
> the drive by attacks to continue? Hard question I am sure, but it´s a risk
> that has to be either accepted or rejected.

Depends on the client.  For clients where I have been able to put a "nobody
runs as an admin user" policy in place I let them go longer.  For clients where
for business reasons (unusual software, mostly, but sometime inertia) everybody
is a local admin I'm aggressive about patching.  I still let it go a day or two
usually.  Needless to say it's more expensive to support those types of
clients.

> Also if you are supporting multiple small clients any way to do testing in
> the office on VM´s before having clients updated accordingly? I like VM´s in
> undoable mode, for this especially, either that or do snap-shots before
> patching and roll-back as needed.

Not cost effective IMHO.  In small businesses almost every computer is
different, different hardware, different software.

Like any insurance policy, AV and patching is a crap-shoot.  Most of the time
you win.  The few times you lose, in a small business the cost is *_usually_*
less than the accumulated cost of all the proactive work you would have had to
do.  In a large business where many people run identical or nearly-identical
machines the cost of losing the crap-shoot is so high in terms of lost (wo)man-
hours that you don't bet that way.

--
Angus Scott-Fleming
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona