I have about 120 GPOs applying at logon, and it doesn't take anywhere near
that long. Keeping them separate and distinct is better when it comes to
working out which one is screwing things up, believe me.

Are all your DCs local to the problem PCs? Are you getting any other network
issues?

On 9 June 2010 06:53, Matthew W. Ross <mr...@ephrataschools.org> wrote:

> AD question here: For our computers on our network, especially our XP
> machines, the "Applying Computer Settings" portion of the boot process takes
> a very long time (4 minutes?) which makes the initial login for our users a
> little painful.
>
> I am curious if I have something setup in a way that is not optimal: I have
> various GPOs set for different settings... and I have the broken up into
> individual GPOs. One for Automatic Updates, one for Internet Explorer
> Behavior, one for Time Synchronization... I probably have 20-30 different
> GPOs. All of this could be done with a lot fewer GPOs, but I originally
> designed it this way so that it would be easy to adjust settings. (Also
> because back in Windows Server 2000, it was difficult to tell what a single
> GPO effected, and where those settings were set.)
>
> Is this fracturing of GPO settings the reason my computers take so long to
> boot? Would consolidating these GPOs be faster?
>
> Also, is there a way to combine GPOs together? Otherwise I'll be doing it
> by hand.
>
> Thanks for any help on this.
>

> --Matt Ross
> Ephrata School District

"On two occasions...I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr Babbage, if you put into
the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able
rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such
a question."