The few times I've had to deal with this the problem turned out to be
connectivity-related instead of the number of GPOs.

Can you ping all of your DCs from the workstations?  Has it always been this
way, or did something change?  Is it all of the workstations all of the
time, some of them all of the time, or seemingly random?  Have you created a
test OU with no GPOs at all to see what happens to users and computers
placed there?  Have you turned on user environment logging to see if there's
anything useful in there?

RS