On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 1:53 AM, Matthew W. Ross
<mr...@ephrataschools.org> wrote:
> AD question here: For our computers on our network, especially our XP
> machines, the
> "Applying Computer Settings" portion of the boot process takes a very long
> time
> (4 minutes?) which makes the initial login for our users a little painful.

  In my experience, that's usually a network issue.

  I recommend doing the following to help debug this sort of issue.
All done via GPO, ironically.

Computer -> Admin Templates -> System -> Verbose status messages = Enable

Computer -> Admin Templates -> System -> Scripts -> Run shutdown
scripts visible = Enable

Computer -> Admin Templates -> System -> Scripts -> Run startup
scripts visible = Enable

  The first one (verbose status messages) is especially useful.  By
default, the status messages Windows gives during startup and shutdown
are very misleading.

  One common problem that can cause slow startup is DNS resolution of
your Active Directory domain name.  If your Active Directory domain
name is not delegated in the public DNS, make sure all your AD members
are configured to use your private DNS servers *only*.  Do *NOT*
configure ISP nameservers *anywhere*.  (In the common case, this means
your clients should have your AD Domain Controller(s) configured as
their DNS servers.)

-- Ben