Be sure to disable computer/use settings on GPOs that have no settings in those
sections, so the won't be scanned and time will be saved.

As for merging I wouldn't recommend it.  I'd just spend the time to recreate so
you'll have a fresh GPO.  Then delete the older GPOs and allow the system to
clean up the sysvol.  Or you could try the backup/restore method:
http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Backing-up-Restoring-GPOs-using-GPMC.html.

Also, I thought I read someone or someone on this list mentioned that if you
use WMI filters for your GPOs that could slow things down, since the filters
need to be processed before the GPOs.  I use several WMI filters (very handy to
prevent policies running on servers or particular workstations).  Our logins
take a few moments but I always tell our users that same computer at home would
be a little slower at work with the various software overhead.

Also for 2008 there are some (optional ?) Microsoft updates to process GPO
preferences.  You may want to see if those are needed.

I'm sure others will chime in with better wisdom...

Tom

Tom Miller
Engineer, Information Technology
Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board
757-788-0528

>>> "Matthew W. Ross" <mr...@ephrataschools.org> 6/9/2010 1:53 AM >>>
AD question here: For our computers on our network, especially our XP machines,
the "Applying Computer Settings" portion of the boot process takes a very long
time (4 minutes?) which makes the initial login for our users a little painful.

I am curious if I have something setup in a way that is not optimal: I have
various GPOs set for different settings... and I have the broken up into
individual GPOs. One for Automatic Updates, one for Internet Explorer Behavior,
one for Time Synchronization... I probably have 20-30 different GPOs. All of
this could be done with a lot fewer GPOs, but I originally designed it this way
so that it would be easy to adjust settings. (Also because back in Windows
Server 2000, it was difficult to tell what a single GPO effected, and where
those settings were set.)

Is this fracturing of GPO settings the reason my computers take so long to
boot? Would consolidating these GPOs be faster?

Also, is there a way to combine GPOs together? Otherwise I'll be doing it by
hand.

Thanks for any help on this.

--Matt Ross
Ephrata School District

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including attachments, is for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or
message.