I would make the AD its own VM. On the off chance that you need to do something with AD that requires a reboot you don't have to reboot everything (also makes life easier in the future) The one caveat to this is you want to set the priority so AD boots before Exchange (I assume hyper-v gives you this ability).

-Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: "Oliver Marshall" <oliver.marsh...@g2support.com>
To: "NT System Admin Issues" <ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2010 7:14 AM
Subject: Virtualisation structural question

Hi chaps.

Can I kick some thoughts around here and look for some comments?

We have a few old servers that we need to upgrade to new versions. Basically we will be upgrading several Windows 2003 servers running file services, AD and Exchange 2003. We will be replacing these with 2008 64bit R2 servers running Exchange 2010.

As running Exchange 2010 on a DC isn't recommended (though it appears that it isn't not-supported as such) we are looking at having two servers; one for AD and file roles and one for Exchange roles. Clearly this lends itself to virtualisation quite nicely with both 'servers' running on a parent host.

The question is really this: Should the AD/File roles run in a VM or on the parent host itself, with Exchange being a child VM on the parent host ?

So this;

Physical Host: VM-HOST1
Roles: Hyper-V Host
Domain: Workgroup

VM Name: AD-1
Role: DC/GC/FILE
Host: VM-HOST1
Domain: MYDOMAIN

VM Name: EX-1
Roles: Exchange 2010
Host: VM-HOST1
Domain: MYDOMAIN

Or this;

Physical Host: VM-HOST1
Roles: Hyper-V Host, DC/GC/FILE
Domain: MYDOMAIN

VM Name: EX-1
Roles: Exchange 2010
Host: VM-HOST1
Domain: MYDOMAIN

My feeling is that the former is neater, that is with both the AD server and the Exchange server being VMs on a parent host, than the latter.

Any suggestions? How are you chaps structuring things ?

Olly

[cid:personal27e87.jpg]

[cid:g2supportsmall_250x58border390c.png]

Network Support
Online Backups
Server Management

Tel: 0845 307 3443
Email: oliver.marsh...@g2support.com
Web: http://www.g2support.com<http://www.g2support.com/>
Twitter: g2support<http://twitter.com/home?stat...@g2support>
Newsletter: http://www.g2support.com/newsletter
Mail: 2 Roundhill Road, Brighton, Sussex, BN2 3RF

G2 Support LLP is registered at Mill House, 103 Holmes Avenue, HOVE
BN3 7LE. Our registered company number is OC316341.

~ <http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Business/VIPRE-Enterprise/> ~