To: ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com
Subject: RE: Switch opinions
From: richardmccl...@aspca.org
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:28:55 -0500

+1

Both our old 3500-series Cisco and our
current 3750 series are, unless you know the CIOS CLI stuff thoroughly,
are a pain to manage.

Support renewal is expensive (SmartNet
- smart for Cisco, I guess...)

I would seriously consider staying with
HP (which was not my choice to make a couple of years back...)

--

Richard D. McClary

Systems Administrator,
Information Technology Group

ASPCA®

1717 S. Philo Rd, Ste
36

Urbana, IL  61802

richardmccl...@aspca.org

P: 217-337-9761

C: 217-417-1182

F: 217-337-9761

www.aspca.org

The information contained
in this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is from The American Society
for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals® (ASPCA®)
and is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain
legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the
intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination,
distribution, copying or use of the contents of this e-mail, and any attachments
hereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please immediately notify me by reply email and permanently delete the
original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout thereof.

"Raper, Jonathan - Eagle" <jra...@eaglemds.com>
wrote on 09/14/2010 01:20:16 PM:

> We’ve used the Catalyst family since the 3500 series (3512 &
3524)

> back in 2001. We’ve used the 3550, 2950, 3560 & 3750/3750G. In
the

> last year, we’ve replaced everything with all PoE, 3560-48, 3750-24,&
3750-48.

> I like them, personally, but they are expensive
and don’t have a

> lifetime warranty like the HP line – SmartNET is not inexpensive,

> either. I have used ProCurve (2424M & 4000M). I’ve also worked
with

> 3Com & D-Link, but can’t remember the specifics on either –
for D-

> Link, it was their “high-end” gear, if D-Link has such…

> What do you need in a managed switch, aside from
being able to look

> at port statistics? Do you have vlan and qos needs? Is VoIP in your

> environment (or in your future? – if so, whose VoIP product do you

> use or think will you use?)

> Jonathan L. Raper, A+, MCSA, MCSE

> Technology Coordinator

> Eagle Physicians & Associates, PA

> jra...@eaglemds.com

> www.eaglemds.com

and am looking at a

> Cisco Catalyst 2960S-48TS-S 48 port managed switch. Anyone have any

> experience with this switch or this family of switches? Obviously

> Cisco is a pretty good name, but it's been a while since I've bought

> anything of theirs.

> Thanks! :)

> Evan

> ~ Finally, powerful endpoint security that ISN'T
a resource hog! ~

 ~