From: Mayo, Bill [mailto:bem...@pittcountync.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 10:30 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Intel wants to charge to unlock features already on your CPU

If you applied a hack to your Windows 7 installation that allowed you to
bypass some of the security controls (e.g. product activation), would you
expect Microsoft to support it?  The ruling says, "It's your hardware, so
you can do what you want with it."  Apple says, "If you modify the operating
system, don't call us if you have problems with it."  As far as I know,
there would be nothing to prevent you from restoring the factory iOS to your
phone and contacting Apple for support if the problem persisted (was
hardware related).  If you bricked your iPhone trying to jailbreak it, then
all bets are off.