From: Jonathan Link [mailto:jonathan.l...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 21 September 2010 11:25 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Intel wants to charge to unlock features already on your CPU

If I buy something, it's generally held that I can do what I want with it.

When you say "buy", are you talking about handing over money for something in
return? If so, then your assertion above is completely incorrect.

There are many contractual situations where payment is made, where you can't do
what you want. Leasing is one huge area that has been around for a long time.
Licensing is another, that has similarly been around for a long time. Do you
think you can lease some advertising space, and then do whatever you want with
it - like destroy the wall that you are to put your advert up onto? Absolutely
not (well, I suppose you could if your leasing agreement allowed that). Nor are
you allowed to display your advertisement in perpetuity to the exclusion of
other advertisers.

Even with real property (typically physical goods like land) a contract can
divide rights between parties (e.g. I can sell you some land for a reduced
price but you only get to keep it for as long as you live)

If you give me something, that's an entirely different situation.  If I buy the
rights to something for a certain period, you can be darn sure that there's an
agreement I'm signing.
This specific issue of processors being sold with an unlock code is happening
at the retail level.  Typically at this level, you're buying it lock stock and
barrel.  We're chartering new territory in this specific area.

As a consumer product, perhaps we are charting new territory. As far as common
law goes, I don't think we're charting particularly new territory at all.

Do you know that you can get on an airplane, and there's in-seat entertainment.
If you buy an expensive fare, the entertainment's "included", and if you buy a
cheap fare, you have to pay for it? The functionality's all there. But
effectively the unit is "crippled" until additional payment is made. I don't
doubt there are many other, more similar cases, out there. But this was the
first that popped into my head.

I'm familiar with the concept that you can give or sell something with
restricted rights.  Those kinds of agreements are usually contractual and occur
between buyers with resources to spend on the transaction process.  We are now
seeing similar transactions move into the retail space, except we have buyers
and sellers with vastly different resources, and that is where case law needs
to be generated,

Maybe you are thinking of estoppel, or similar doctrines. But generally
contracts do not care for the resources between parties. Provided there is not
illegal duress, then contract law does not care.

Cheers
Ken

and is indeed being generated (iPhone jailbreaking).  To the average consumer
(who, I'll admit is generally speaking dumb) they believe that if they go into
the store to buy something, they own it and can do with it what they please,
generally they operate the item in a way the manufacturer intended, sometimes
not, and they (generally) should be free to operate it as they wish.

If, as a coproration you take a risk and ship a product with more capabilities
that you wish to unlock later, either do a better job of QA in locking down
said feature, or don't grumble when someone spends their time and their effort
to unlock it.  Are your manufacturing costs lower?  Sure.  But you're still
maknig profit, just not at your desired level, so therefore, raise it to your
desired level.  If you find that your product doesn't sell at that level, then
perhaps the market is right and your price is set incorrectly.  Again this is
at the retail level, if you in a business to business transaction signed a
contract agreeing to not reverse engineer or figure out how to unlock
additional features, then I'd side with the manufacturer.  At the retail level,
I'll side with the consumer, because the power level of the buyers and sellers
are vastly different.  Yes, caveat emptor and all that, but it's really an
empty saying when the market favors the seller.

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Ken Schaefer