Similarly, suppose you later wish to upgrade to 4 cores.  Which would you
prefer:

a - shut down the server, pull it from the rack, remove the cooling units,
pull the CPU, replace (etc), and update the BIOS?

b - boot off a piece of media which enables the other two cores, updates,
the BIOS, etc?

Personally, I like "b"
--
richard

<jaldr...@blueridgecarpet.com
> > wrote:
> In my personal opinion, if certain "features" are disabled and the CPU
is
> not capable of running at it's full potential (barring any manufacturing
> defects which would cause it to be sold as a lower performing chip, as
is
> common these days) then I, personally, would consider it "crippled" or
> "hamstrung" if you prefer. That's my personal opinion and I think it's a
> lousy way to do business.
>
> Now, if you're willing to buy hardware that has been *artificially*
"dumbed
> down" with the knowledge that you can undo that by paying Intel a fee,
then
> by all means, feel free to do that. Personally, if I have the option of
> buying a CPU that is NOT artificially "dumbed down" or has some features
> disabled strictly so Intel can charge me to unlock those features, I
will
> opt for the competitor's CPU that doesn't have those artificial
> restrictions. That's just my 2ยข.

CPU

> >>That being said, I think it's a crappy way to do business... sell a
> "crippled" product then charge to "fix it."
>
> Please show me in that article what language led you to conclude that
the
> product being sold is "crippled"
> As an example, should you pay for a two core processor, and the price
you
> pay you deem reasonable for a two-core processor, and then Intel makes
it
> possible for you to pay an incremental price to unlock two more cores
(for a
> total that you deem is appropriate for a four-core processor), then what
> specifically is the problem?
> You appear to be engaging in a philosophical debate which lacks any
> practical pain.

> ASB (My XeeSM Profile)
> Exploiting Technology for Business Advantage...
>
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 11:21 AM, John Aldrich
> <jaldr...@blueridgecarpet.com> wrote:
> I agree... if you modify your Windows 7 install and it violates the
EULA,
> Microsoft has every right to say "sorry... you violated the EULA, we're
not
> supporting it." Same goes for a "bricked" iphone. I also would not
expect
> Intel to support a "hacked" CPU. That being said, I think it's a crappy
way
> to do business... sell a "crippled" product then charge to "fix it."

We're