users on a few servers, EMR on another, another bunch of servers for
general apps.  Not possible in Terminal Server.

So the money I saved was burned by man hours supporting it.

>>> "Webster" <carlwebs...@gmail.com> 10/29/2010 10:12 AM >>>

“I’d love to hear why people would recommend Citrix over TS 2008”

http://www.dabcc.com/article.aspx?id=9771

At my previous employer, we had several customers that tried moving
from Presentation Server 4.5 to TS2008, gave up and moved back.  IMNSHO,
TS2008 just doesn’t scale well for large enterprises unless you have
some very experienced people around.

Webster

From: David Lum [mailto:david....@nwea.org]
Subject: RE: Citrix or Windows Terminal Server?

Last I checked TS licensing was far cheaper than Citrix – see if
there’s a big price delta. If yes, then see if there’s any reason the
cheaper solution wouldn’t work. If no big price difference do you have
any in-house knowledge that knows one app better than the other?  I am
in the midst of standing up 2008 Terminal Servers to replace our aging
Citrix Metaframe and 2008 R2 TS is very easy to set up.

To add into this question, I’d love to hear why people would recommend
Citrix over TS 2008. TS 2008’s application management is far better than
previous Terminal Server versions.

From: Sean Rector [mailto:sean.rec...@vaopera.org]

It’ll be Server 2008 R2, 64-bit.

From: Webster [mailto:carlwebs...@gmail.com]

Windows???  Do you mean 2003, 2008 or R2?  If 2003 or 2008, 32-bit or
64-bit?

Webster

From: Sean Rector [mailto:sean.rec...@vaopera.org]

Windows – the application is Tessitura
(http://www.tessitura-network.org), and is used for CRM & Ticketing for
arts organizations.

From: Webster [mailto:carlwebs...@gmail.com]

What OS will you be hosting the application on?

From: Sean Rector [mailto:sean.rec...@vaopera.org]
Subject: Citrix or Windows Terminal Server?

Hello,

We’re looking at hosting an application for several other arts
organizations.  My thinking is that we should use one of these two
technologies – but I’m not sure which one.  We’re behind an ISA 2006
firewall, and we’re looking at increasing our internet pipe to
Cavalier’s Ethernet over Copper product (from a T-1) at 5M.

Whichever setup we go with, what logon set-up would be best – we’re
running a 2003 AD (soon to be 2008 R2).

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including attachments, is
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
copies of the original message.