I think you're going to have  a hard time with the power and size
requirement. The only drives I'm aware of that can be powered via USB are
2.5" drives which are only offered up to 750GB in size. There are 1TB
drives, but they are 12.5mm thick and most laptops and enclosures won't
accept that. I would also recommend getting the drive and chassis
separately. The Western Digital My Book 2.5" drives for example are
proprietary. If you remove the drive from the chassis, the SATA controller
has been replaced by a USB controller directly on the PCB. So you won't be
able to use the drive for anything else, or buy a bare drive for that
chassis in the future should you want to. Many also include
impossible-to-get-rid-ofT virtual CD bundle-ware that you have to put up
with each time you insert it. It's burned into the firmware of the drive,
not on a partition so you can't get rid of it. Buying the drive and the
chassis separate gets you a clean setup.

This chassis supports USB & eSATA:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392016

So you get great speed when eSATA is available and can use the USB just for
powering it. For hard drives I would get Western Digital Blue to be a little
easier on your battery, or Black for performance.

--
Mike Gill