1) I would test 64 bit machines before you do this.  I don't know that it
wouldn't work, but I can see possibilities where this might be a bad idea.

2) In my install folder, I maintain at least a version back. I always put a
date stamp on the folder name of the date I installed a particular
software.  In the GPO, I remove the software installation, forcing it to
remove everything from the user's computer.  By leaving the folder there,
the installer has access to source installation files if it is necessary for
uninstallation.

3) I haven't had good lunch with the new version of Java uninstalling the
previous version of java.
Truthfully, I've given up on maintaining it for a while, and I need to get
caught up.  However, in the meantime, I have a hodge-podge of different
versions out there, since I've manually updated when I've had cause to do
so, or I've been at a users machine.  This is a lower priority item for me,
that probably needs to be moved up my list.