From: Jim Dandy [mailto:jda...@asmail.ucdavis.edu]
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 10:45 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: GP software deployment best practices

I'm going to start pushing Java via Group Policy and have a few questions with
regard to best practices.

1)      Some of my machines are 32-bit and some are 64.  My thought is to
create a "Java policy" that pushes both the 32 and 64-bit versions.  64-bit
machines would get both and 32-bit machine would only get the 32.  Is it OK to
have a GP that attempts to push a 64-bit software to 32-bit machines or is that
going to cause problems?  It seems to work OK on my test machines but perhaps
I'm missing something?

2)      When a new version of Java comes out should I remove the old policy and
create a new policy to push the new version or should I apply the new version
as an update to the older version (using the update tab on the GP)?

3)      Since the new version will uninstall the old version should I select
"Uninstall this application when it falls out of the scope of management" or
should I just let the new Java installation remove the older version?

Thanks for your help.

Curt Finley

or send an email to