On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Jon Harris <jk.har...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Which vendor did you end you using?  CDW does not carry this model and the
> ones I have seen are either only USB connectors, USB/Firewire connectors, or
> multi-drive boxes for doing RAID 1.

  My application is specifically for use with removable hard drives,
so my solution may not be the best for your needs.  But:

  I've got a bunch of DataPort 10 stuff in use.  Most of it's inside
PCs, but I have an HD bay frame I keep around for attaching to PCs
during cloning & trouble-shooting.  I've also got a slot bracket in
each PC, which brings a SATA port and a Molex power connector out.  I
plug the frame into that.  Not really a "throw it in the bag" solution
(too exposed), but it works for the occasional usage.

Frame: http://www.cru-dataport.com/slideshow.php?dir=//DataPort-10//&sel=5
Carrier: http://www.cru-dataport.com/slideshow.php?dir=//DataPort-10//&sel=4

  More recently, I've been eying the DataPort HotDock, which is
basically the HD bay frame in an enclosure.  In addition to eSATA, it
includes bridge chips for USB or FireWire attachment.  This will come
in handy for a project I've got that's going to involve bringing a
SATA drive out from inside a piece of test equipment -- no drive bays
to put the HD bay frame in, but I can put the dock on top of it.

http://www.cru-dataport.com/products/DataPort-HotDock.php

  If you just want a single portable drive, their "DataPortable 350"
appears to have an eSATA connector on the back, despite no mention of
it in their marketing copy.  You may want to contact their sales
people.  I know when I was looking previously, I wanted something with
just a knob, not a key.  No mention on their website, but when I
contacted sales they gave me a P/N right away.  CDW was then able to
special order it from CRU.

http://www.cru-dataport.com/products/DataPortable-350.php

  There are plenty of other vendors out there making good stuff, too.
I just mentioned CRU because their stuff is right in front of me all
the time.

-- Ben