Okay, so I happen to have a shared DropBox configuration with a variety of
collaborators.  A few folders are overlapping, but most are not.

Some 15% of my total DropBox storage is shared.

*
*
*>>That's not the risk I am concerned about. I'm concerned about the
risk where you're sharing a Dropbox account with folks whose machines
are not under your control, which, from my understanding, is one of
the major use cases for this service*

Your premise needs validation.  *Most* of the people I know who are using
DropBox are not sharing the folders with anyone else.

Of the people I know using DropBox who *are* sharing folders with others,
80% are only sharing them with me.   So, of the 30-odd people I know using
Dropbox, removing me from the equation results in almost no folder sharing.

But, for argument's sake, let's suppose that my anecdotal stats are
completely off-base.    DropBox allows you to share at the subfolder level,
not the root, so a person would have to go to a lot of work to share their
entire DropBox archive.

*>>Putting aside any concerns about the security of the Dropbox
infrastructure (which is a considerable question of its own), the security
model for this is completely borked.*

Just because you say so?  Try presenting something substantive.

Back to me and my 15% shared storage.  If the full system of one of the
people who I share a set of folders with becomes compromised, some 3rd party
could setup a separate machine that would allow them to install DropBox and
get access to 100% of the victims files, plus 15% of my files (actually,
some % less than 15, since that number is my total shared percentage across
different teams).   So, my exposure is very limited.

*>>My initial premise that your Dropbox is exposed if your config.db
is stolen - not the same thing.*

The degree of exposure is limited to the degree of data sharing with the
victimized individual -- IOW, no additional data is exposed above and beyond
that which is already exposed by access to the original machine.

If my DropBox looks like:

DropBox
------ Cool Stuff
------ Secret Stuff
------ Other Stuff
*------ Shared Stuff #1*
------ Shared Stuff #2

...and I am sharing the *"Shared Stuff #1"* folder with the victim whose
machine has been co-opted by BadDude, then the only risk I have is to *"Shared
Stuff #1"*, which is the same read risk as before, but a new delete risk for
me.  However, it should be noted that there is no increase in risk over
controlling the machine and simply deleting the shared files in the first
place.

*ASB *(Professional Bio <http://about.me/Andrew.S.Baker/bio>)
 *Harnessing the Advantages of Technology for the SMB market...

 *