On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Kurt Buff <kurt.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not clear on what the Dropbox host_id is either, but Muffett gives
> the classic example: ssh keys. Good analogy, I think.

  Well, that depends.

  If the host_id is a private/secret key, okay, it's a great analogy.
But private keys are, you know -- private.  Using one as a handle for
something makes no sense.  Further, from what I've seen of host IDs,
they appear to be maybe 30-60 bytes in length (depend on exactly what
the ASCII strings I saw were encoding).  240-480 bits.  That's not
private key sized.

  I've seen a few different sample URLs.  One is:

https://www.getdropbox.com/tray_login?host_id=BLAH

but does not actually give an ID.  Another does:

https://www.dropbox.com/cli_link?host_id=7d44a557aa58f285f2da0x67334d02c1

  So it would appear a host ID serves to uniquely identify a host
(shocking </sarcasm>), and is sometimes passed around in URLs as part
of the Dropbox client linking to a Dropbox webserver.  They're
relatively short.

  So as analogies go, they're nothing like SSH keys.  They're more
like IP addresses, or hostnames, or user logon names.  Especially that
last -- since they're provided by the client itself and have no other
association with other systems (e.g., in contrast, you can do things
to check a client's purported hostname againt DNS).

  Now, if the only thing used to authenticate a client is (e.g.) a
64-bit sequentially assigned serial number which is sometimes exposed
in semi-public URLs, that is indeed a very bad security design.

  But some of chatter around this suggests there may be more to it.
We're still in the initial-flurry-of-misinformation phase that usually
surrounds any technical news story.  As I don't have the time to do a
through job researching, I have to wait for some accuracy to
precipitate out of this cloud of confusion.

-- Ben